August 31, 2011

Things I Forgot to Post About: A Summer Wrap-Up Series

It may seem like I live a very boring life by the way this blog is so lacking in adventures. But as it turns out, I just run a very boring blog. See, I'm really bad at posting about something within a reasonable timeframe. I actually have pictures from the Christmas parade last year which I still have not posted.

So, as a way to bid adieu to summer, I'll do a series of posts: Things I Forgot to Post About. Or rather, Things About Which I Forgot to Post.

This will be Part One.

Golfing

On Father's Day, Kayden and I took Keene to play his first round of golf. We played a scramble so as not to slow down the teams behind us, but we still managed to pick up a mildly annoying fourth player, who turned out to be a golf instructor. Why? Why do they always turn out to be golf instructors?



And, of course, we let the kid drive:





Exploring

One random Sunday, we decided to explore a state park near our apartment. We walked along a river for a while, then found a bridge made from a large tree. We veered off of the trail, crossed the bridge, and started walking back the way we had come, this time on the other side of the river.

Unfortunately, it seems that veering off of a trail was what you should not do in that state park. In our effort to get back home, we came across some deserted campsites, nearly stepped on a bull snake, had to crawl through thick reeds. Yet we still had to cross the river to get back home. This time without the large tree to serve as a bridge. After doubling back for a minute or two, we found the next best thing: two smallish trees to serve as a bridge.


This worked fairly well until it was Maia's turn to cross. Two seconds after this picture was taken, I knew I was about to fall. So I grabbed Maia and threw her from that spot to the ground. She did not like being tossed over part of a river, but with only one wet shoe, I consider that a successful crossing.

Purging the Junk

I've been reading a lot of blogs about minimalism lately. Because I'm impressionable, I decided to drastically reduce the amount of junk in the apartment. And hey, bonus! Less to move!

There was the Rock and Roll Garage Sale at 3 Kings:


And again:


Keene got his first massage, performed by the sexy Luise:


Kort and I braved the heat at the flea market:


As well as the insane roadways, as we maneuvered into our allotted space:


We even did an actual garage sale, though I didn't get photos of that.

Even better than getting rid of all that junk: we barely brought any more junk back into the house. However, we did get a bike for Kayden:


And yet another bike for Keene. We went to the thrift store where we found my vintage Hawthorne cruiser. And guess what we found! No, really, guess!

Another vintage freakin' Hawthorne, this time a road bike:


We have amazing thrift-store luck.

And thus concludes Part One of all the stuff I have not been posting about this summer. Stay tuned for museums, camping trips, and ZOMG! Quicksand!

No comments: