June 27, 2011

The Green Monster Smoothie

Recently, I've started venturing to a wonderous yet perilous new land: the Land of Adventurous Cuisine and Healthy Eating. Okay, both of those are a bit overblown. I'm not about to eat the head of a lamb, so "adventurous" isn't quite right. And there ain't no way I'm swearing off frozen Totinos Pizzas for good, so "healthy" isn't totally correct either. So, maybe I should say, "The Land of Expanding My Heretofore-Sheltered Culinary Horizons and Working on a Tad More Nutritional Meals, Even When the Children Aren't Around."

So, moving along, I found this blog with a recipe for a Green Monster smoothie. Claiming that this concoction will provide a boost of energy, loads of nutrients, and a magical pair of wings (I'm assuming here), I decided to try it out. I won't repost the exact recipe here, but you can find that at the link above.

Basically, it is a banana, spinach, nut butter (or peanut butter if you're not totally sure about all these newfangled ingredients), almond milk, ice, and flax seed:


Then blend it all up:


And drink it all down:


I was surprised by how good it tasted. Kind of nutty, very banana-y, not at all spinach-y.


Experienced immediate stomach pains and cramping, which lasted about five minutes before settling into a steady churning and growling, which I suspect are the flax seeds burrowing into my intestines like ticks, preparing to exorcise the lingering Ghosts of Unhealthy Meals Past:


But then the storm passed and I felt all super healthy like whoa. Thanks, flax seeds!



UPDATE:


Bless Keene and his willingness to try anything I hand him

2 comments:

misskortney said...

"Spinach Smoothie" falls under "adventurous" in my book!

Kelli said...

I'm surprised to hear you say that, Kort. I'm certain you've ingested much more adventurous things than I have...