November 9, 2010

Kayden Turns Ten and Other Chaos Ensues

Last Saturday, we held Kayden's 10th Annual Birthday Celebration (also known as a sleepover). We started off by making the birthday boy clean.



(No, really, he wanted to...)

Then he had to frost his own cake:


Then he had to buy his own birthday present:


Okay, not really. I got it for him because I am, as proven in a recent study, the best mom ever.

I tried my hand at cake-decorating for the second year in a row. While I worked for several hours on the cake last year, knowing that it would only be viewed by kids this year, I spent maybe 20 minutes on it:



Then Keene spent another five, working on the gun and words:


Even so, the cake was quickly overshadowed by the ice cream sundae buffet we had set up. Since the majority of guests were around 10 years old and, therefore, thought party games were stupid, we decided to just pump them full of sugar and see what happened.

If you don't know what an ice cream sundae buffet looks like, allow me to show you the light: several varieties of ice cream and syrups, with toppings including whipped cream, crushed cookies, cherries, candies, sprinkles, and whatever else might be delicious on ice cream.

I know, right? The kids still talk about it every night.



So, what does one do with a group of hyper pre-teen boys? Why, you lock them in a room, of course.


While the boys screamed and wrestled and monkeyed around in the apartment complex's theater, Keene and I sat outside the door, wishing we weren't so cool and had just forced the boys to go to bed at a reasonable hour.

To pass the time, though, I murdered Keene in Scrabble.


Murdered, I tell you.


After five-hundred hours had passed, we finally trooped back home for (the adults') bedtime.

The next morning, I walked into the living room to see bodies strewn everywhere:


It was a brutal scene.


Clearly, these boys showed no mercy to their fallen brothers.


On Monday morning, while dropping the kids off at school, a fellow parent (who I didn't even know) said, "I heard you had a wild night on Saturday!"

My friend, this is how bad reputations start out.

1 comment:

misskortney said...

Looks like the kids had a great time!!! You really are the best mom in the universe.