November 12, 2010

Felted Flowers and Pee-Dotted Toilets

PSA: If you haven't been by the Bitter o'Clock Facebook page yet, I recommend you run over there. Today. Hint, hint.

Moving on, lately I have been dabbling in felt. I know that sounds kind of dirty, but it's not. It started with a custom order for a little pink hat. I was stuck on whether to do a stripe or a crocheted flower. Then I noticed a pile of felt on my desk which I had bought over a year ago with the intention of making a flower bouquet.

I quickly cut out flowers, layering and layering until I was satisfied. See, that's the part where felt has the one-up on crochet: if you layer and layer on crocheted flowers, you wind up with something that looks like it belongs in the Amazon. And something that just might eat you if you stand too close.

Felt, on the other hand, is meant to be layered. That is its reason for being. Every time you don't layer felt, a fairy dies. No, I'm sorry, that's not true. But just trust me, you have to layer.

Anyhow, this was the end result of that custom order:



(Note the fleece lining. Kudos to Keene for that one.)

I loved it. I loved it so much I wanted to marry it. And have little felt flower babies with it. And ultimately divorce it when a newer hat happens by. But alas, I had to say goodbye and send it off to the customer.

...and start on a new line of felty hats.




Soon, I discovered with annoyance that crocheting a hat takes much longer than making felt flowers. So I stopped making hats and just made flowers.


And more flowers.


And...toilets.


3 comments:

Rick said...

Couple things:

1. Fleece lining just makes your hats awesomer.
2. Why isn't there a little felt dookie in that toilet?

Ashley said...

Absolutely lovely hats. And I adore the cake you made as well!

Ashley
www.afterninetofive.net

Kelli said...

Rick, would you wear something with a dookie on your head? Wait, don't answer that.

Thanks, Ashley!