August 18, 2010

Bike Ride #2: Leisure Fail

Due to many constraints of time and space and the law of vacationing, I haven't been able to ride my bike since the ill-fated maiden voyage. We decided to go for a leisurely ride near Cherry Creek Reservoir at sunset. Because it was around 8:00 and we had to get Maia to bed soon, it would be a short ride.

We rode around, enjoying the scenery, the wildlife (which included bats at the sun dropped!), and the activity itself.


Have you ever tried to take your own picture while steering a shaky old bike? Not so easy.


If you were to take Quasimodo and stick him on a bike--drunk--this is what he would look like:


Anyhow, it was a nice ride. Until a mosquito flew into my eyeball (maybe I should blink more often?) and set up shop under my eyelid. It was an omen. We should have turned back at that point.

So, we had ridden for maybe a half-hour. Naturally, we assumed we were halfway around the small reservoir. We decided to keep going, since that had to be quicker than heading back the way we came.

Oh no. Nope. It's not.

Turns out this path wound around, past the reservoir, past a freeway, journeyed through The Nothing, crawled over the Rockies, dipped down into Mexico, then came to a stop near our apartment.

By the time we slumped through our front door, we had ridden ten miles. Ten freakin' miles. Keene tells me that's not much for a bike ride. In reply, I tell him something that is not fit to type here. Ten miles on a Rusty Cruiser without water, up hills, up more hills, down very few hills for some strange reason, with mosquitos pelting my face like paintballs.

Keene says that within a couple months, I'll be capable of 30-mile bike rides. In my mind, I peel a splattered mosquito off of my sweaty forehead and fling it at him.

1 comment:

Joshua said...

For everyone's information: Kelli is a natural at the bike riding. She made that ten mile ride with no complaints and no stopping on the way up the hills. I was quite impressed.

Also, I still can't figure out why all those baseball players were lying on the bike path.