April 19, 2010

Unexpected.

As I've said before, my office is in a very industrial part of town. There are bottling plants, brick distributors, factories with actual smoke stacks, and a thousand auto body shops with parking lots full of cars in varying states of decrepitness.

And let's not forget the homeless people by the train tracks. I know I can't.

Moreover, I have what seems to be a junkyard outside of my office window. It has a lot of scrap metal, some horse trailers, and an RV I wish to steal someday.

But despite the smoke and odors, the neighborhood is really not as dreary as it looks in these photos. To be fair, my camera phone is both cheap and damaged.

I would look at life through a dreary lens if I were cheap and damaged too.

On the front of one of these body shops is a sign with a photo of a red Dodge Viper next to the business name. Naturally, I assumed that it was a stock photo since I had seen a red Dodge Viper used on at least ten business cards in the past. That seems to be a message: "See, I run such a successful business that I can afford to rent this Viper for a day!"

So imagine my surprise when, while driving to lunch one day, I saw this parked outside that building:

Even my phone can't see that car as anything but vibrant and beautiful. I thought it was a fluke, that it must be a rich client or something. But no, I've noticed it parked there nearly every day in the afternoons.

Sometimes it makes me want to cry a little.

But I don't.

Because I'm not a bawl-baby, you know.

It also makes me scheme. My plan is to casually drop by the office, introduce myself, tell them I'm getting to know my neighbors, suck up to the staff, figure out who drives the car, make a point to be extra-nice to that person, start inviting him/her to the children's birthday parties, volunteer Keene to help when that person is moving, subtly mention that I may die someday...


Then when the time is right, I will ask how much (within a $20 range, of course...I am on a budget, after all) I can give them to let me drive the car.

And then I will cross it off my Future list. It's all coming together now.

3 comments:

Aryn said...

I love this!

Kelli said...

And I love you.

Anonymous said...

Rather excellent idea