April 20, 2010

Quitting Mormonism Begins with a Single Step, Part Two

Member Records Division, LDS Church
50 East North Temple, Room 1372
Salt Lake City, UT 84150-5310


To Whom It May Concern:

This letter is my formal resignation from the Church of Latter-Day Saints. I have not attended church for over fifteen years and have no desire to do so in the future. I would like my name permanently removed from all membership rolls.

Additionally, I would like my son, Kayden, to be removed if he is indeed considered a member as well. He has a sharp, curious mind and tends to put his faith in science more than religion.

Sincerely,

Kelli Petersen
Former-Mormon Extraordinaire


P.S. Thank you for all the chunks of bread and thimbles of water you have served to me over the years. As a child sitting through a two-hour sacrament, that part was always a small blessing.


(Yes, the font is indeed Comic Sans.)

11 comments:

~*~Dezi~*~ said...

I can't wait to see what happens! I am predicting there will be an entire Ward at your doorstep trying to save your soul!
Furthermore, how do you make sure they don't try to do one of those "Baptisms for the dead?" after you're gone?

Hannah said...

I think I'm going to find this blog very interesting indeed.

Kali said...

Good luck! My mother in law was excommunicated for heresy from the Mormon church. She is very cool.

Toby said...

Kali brings up an interesting point. Maybe it would be easier to get kicked out than to voluntary leave. Possibly more fun too!

GregoMcK23 said...

You are so awesome. I love the P.S. to your letter!

By the way, I saw your blog on Dan Savage's blog on the Stranger...

Jeffery said...

Good luck. I'm here via Slog as well.

Joseph's Left One said...

It's not over yet. The next step is that you'll get a response from church HQ saying that your request has been forwarded to the local church leaders. They will contact you (probably a visit) to make sure you really, really want to leave, and they'll probably try to talk you out of it. But, failing that, they will send a request back to church HQ in Salt Lake, and your membership should be deleted.

The Rev Jester said...

I think I'm going to have to copy your letter. I still get visits every few months from the local missionaries and whoever's looking over them in the local ward. I don't mind these visits. They're always such pleasant boys and they're really trying something that's difficult and not-especially-rewarding, but I'm really not going back.

Kelli said...

Kali and Toby, I once told missionaries I was a stripper and a pair of elders that I was into Satanism. Neither of these proved to be "bad" enough, however, to get me anything more than a round of prayers. LOL

RevJester, copy away! I agree that the missionaries have a rough job. I bet it's hard work trying to rope people into this. Not to mention all the biking and focusing only on pure thoughts! That's like three jobs right there.

Kelli said...

Greg and Jeffrey, thanks for checking out the blog. That was really cool of Dan to list the link. I love his stuff (though I keep calling him Savage Dan by accident).

Jordon said...

I think its funny that you wrote the letter in Comic Sans font. You couldn't even give them the decency of a Times New Roman or a Garamond? ;-)