April 22, 2010

A Birthday Party for Wana

On the day I turned 19 years old, a friend came to visit me at the bookstore where I worked. As we talked, she spotted an adorable teddy bear which we were promoting (buy three children's books, receive the bear for $5.00 or something). We agreed the bear was possibly the cutest teddy bear in the world. She said, "I'm going to buy it for you...for a birthday present." And she did. Because it was my birthday, after all.

I took the bear home and put it on my dresser. Not more than a week past before 2-year-old Kayden discovered the bear and claimed it as his own. He named it Wana, and made sure it was in bed with him every night as he fell asleep. It became his most treasured doll.

Fast-forward to the present, he still sleeps with the bear (but don't tell his buddies). A week ago, he informed us (with actual handmade invitations) that there would be a birthday party for Wana on April 20th, at 5:23 p.m.

First we ate dinner, with Wana as the special guest. (Don't worry, we didn't eat the plastic pizza and doughnut too.)



After dinner, we had a birthday party for a stuffed bear. But this wasn't just a "make-believe" party, oh no. Kayden had put some real thought into it.

Leading up to the party, he had begun saving up his desserts at school, rather than eating them. A Rice-Krispie treat, a cookie, and a fruit roll-up made up the birthday cake:


I think Keene and I were both a little wary about eating the cake, but it turned out to be really tasty.

Then it was time for presents. The week before, Kayden had asked me oh-so-politely if I would make a hat for Wana, so I did. And I wrapped it.

Then everybody gave Wana their own presents: a crocheted flower from Keene, a car from Maia, and an eraser from Kayden.

Overall, the bear's party was a raging success.

3 comments:

Katy said...

I love your family, I want you guys to adopt me. Kayden is such a sweet boy ,the world is lucky to have him! :)

Kelli said...

Katy, we'll find a place for you in our family. I'm still thinking "hot aunt that gives us weird thoughts and tingles in strange, new places."

Trish said...

The fact that he saved his school desserts has me all weepy. Such a sweet kid.