March 31, 2010

Arts and Crafts with Kelli

I inherited my mom's knack for arts and crafts. She used to go to garage sales, pick out the most random and weird junk, bring the stuff home, and turn it into magic. Well, not pure magic. I mean, a dresser can't grant wishes no matter how well you paint it. But she could make it over so well, it would put all these home improvement shows to shame.

I'm not quite that magical. My focus is more centered on creating something useless, or taking something previously useful and then making it useless. Plus, I just like doing fun, little projects. Here is a compilation of arts and crafts over the last year.

The Weird Kayden Picture

One boring day in the Petersen household, Kayden said, "I want to do a craft!" I thought for a moment. I looked at my supplies. I pulled out heavy cardstock paper, stickers, markers, and glue. I helped him lay out a design, then he went to work, coloring and sticking.

Then it was time for the pièce de résistance:




















A bag of sand from our apartment's volleyball court.

We spread Mod Podge on the paper, then sprinkled the sand.

Then danced while it dried.




















And finally, our masterpiece was done!

(Well, aside from where the glue was still drying on the boots.)



















Kayden was very impressed and excited by this picture. To this day, it still hangs (quite heavily) on his bedroom door.


The Decoupage Clock

Unfortunately, the making of this project wasn't as well-documented because I was drinking with friends while working on it. One person's drinking and hunting is another person's drinking and crafting.

To clarify, though, the whole process wasn't done haphazard. When I started out at the thrift store, browsing the aisles, I was perfectly sober. As I sifted through the picture frames, I saw a canvas-covered box frame. But it wasn't a painting. Good thing, too, because I have a hard time destroying someone else's art. No, this was a manufactured, decorative monstrosity geared toward teenagers. Upon the hot pink canvas was the word "HOTTIE" and so many sequins that it looks like the creator used a Bedazzler nail gun to affix it to the wood.

(On a side note, I wonder about these self-declarative items. Who buys them? The teenager herself? If so, is it like a daily affirmation? Or does her mom see it in the store and say, "Hmm..."hottie," you know who that reminds me of? That snotty little hottie of mine.")

Anyhow, I picked it up and put it in the cart, because I decided I could give it a better home than wherever it had come from.

Next, I browsed the books and magazines. Amid all the National Geographic issues, I found two literary magazines, filled with poems and drawings. Neato!

I wrapped up my shopping then went to Home Depot because an idea was already forming in my head. I bought a clock-making kit for $5.00.

(Looking back on this, however, I would advise against anyone buying that particular kit, since it doesn't actually work. Unless time really does slow all the way down, then hang out around 6:00 for a while.)

By the time I got home, some friends had already arrived. Not to be deterred from my craft, I multi-tasked. I pulled out my trusty Mod Podge and decoupaged the day away, steadily sloppier and therefore, better.

















(I ditched the letter/number idea, though. I liked the simpler layout better.)




















The Little Shop of Horrors Lamp

Awhile back, I inherited a big box of comic books (or rather, I was left with one, but that's a story for another day). For years, I have wondered what the heck to do with them. They're just old enough that I don't want to throw or give them away, but not old enough to be worth any real money. As a result, the box has sat in closets, on the floor, in the trunk of my car, wherever.

But then I got the idea for another decoupawesome project. I pulled out one of the more interesting (to me) comics: The Little Shop of Horrors (I started to type Little Shop of Awesome just then. Subliminal, eh?). But where to stick it...?

I have had a certain lamp for close to a decade. I like it well enough. The base is a brushed silver lattice design, while the shade is a thin but durable paper.

It was perfect for my project. Once again, I pulled out that Mod Podge (I like glue, mmkay?) and started tearing and gluing. Any pictures or words that I liked. Rip, rip, rip. For maybe two hours when I should have been cleaning or doing laundry. Instead, I glued.

In the end, the lamp turned out to be much cooler than clean clothes, anyways.




No comments: