February 3, 2010

Food for Thought

I saw these comments on The Art of Non-Conformity, but can't remember where. So if you are the writers of it and wondering why you have appeared on some random blog, just know your thoughts are appreciated.

Since the subject of marriage has been introduced in the comments, I’ll just throw my view out there: I think marriage is outdated. If people continue to learn, grow, evolve, and change as they get older, being tied to the same person for their entire adult lives rarely works and doesn’t even make sense. I think a better solution would be a commitment for a certain time period such as 5 or 10 years which provides all the legal benefits and which can be renewed if both parties are still in agreement.


“A year from now you may wish you had started today.” -Karen Lamb

Some of my most fulfilling experiences have been on days when I haven’t had a lot planned. I’ve taken off for long runs in dozens of world cities without a map or any knowledge of the local language. I’ve watched the sunset without an agenda in Zambia and the Faroe Islands. Almost every time I experience something like this, I always think to myself, “Wow. Life is good. I am so thankful to be alive.”

Nor do the experiences have to be exotic to be serendipitous. I also enjoy sleeping in a couple of times a week, going out for coffee almost every day I’m at home, playing video games, and deciding on a whim to do something completely different one day.

No comments: