January 30, 2010

Breckenridge and the Snow Sculptures

I'm always very ambitious on the weekends. Last Saturday, I woke up bright and early, made myself a cup of coffee, and sat down at my computer with a bowl of corn flakes. I began googling. Where would I go today? I looked to the east...not much. I looked to the north...nowhere I haven't already been. Then I looked west. Leadville? That looks interesting, but for another day when the Dude can come along too. But what about Breckenridge? I had never been there. I did a quick search of winter-ish activities and learned the town was smack in the middle of its International Snow Sculpture Championships. Sweet. I didn't even know I was interested in snow sculptures!


I looked up from the computer and said to Keene (who was sitting with Little Miss in the living room), "I think I'm gonna go to Breckenridge today." He jumped up and said, "Ooh! Can we come too?" I ho-ed and hummed and shuffled my feet a bit, then said, "I guess." I waited while they got dressed, then we started off for Breck.

After about 1.5 hours of driving, we arrived. And so, apparently, had the other 99.952% of the Colorado population. I guess it hadn't occurred to me that: ski town + winter + Saturday + international competition = busier than a traffic jam in hell. We dodged pedestrians, shimmied into a little parking spot, and made our way through the chilly town.
Ta-da! We arrived!





This is the 20-ton block of snow that the artists start out with.




This was my favorite and the one I voted for by giving up $1.

I wish the back of my head opened into a lush temple complete with bridge and rockslide.








This one was the big winner of the day. Every square inch was covered with little dots, to resemble a knit glove.





No comments: