December 16, 2009

Jury Duty

I guess I can see why people complain about it, but I liked it. I got out of work all day, I got to spend a good chunk of the day reading.

Also, it's like a game show. First, I got chosen for the elite 25. Score! Then the judge asked all of his questions, people left, people were removed. But I stayed! Then the lawyers asked their questions...and I made it through that, watching everyone around me being asked to leave. Wooot! Finally, the time came and I was placed in the 5th seat. I was so in. Not only would I be on the jury, but I would be the winner.

But then on his last removal, the defense booted me out. Boo! I was really hoping to stay. The trial would last until Monday AND it was a kidnapping/attempted murder trial. How fun! But oh well...another time, I guess.

I seriously think it's set up that way to entertain everybody. Like a game for the lawyers. Like chess. "Your move, counselor." "Gah! You booted out my queen!"

One question the defense asked was, "When you walked in and saw the defendant, did you think, 'What did he do wrong?'" He called on someone, who replied, "Actually, I thought YOU were the defendant."

Regardless of the outcome, that was the best Tuesday I've had in a long time.

No comments: