October 12, 2009

Kayden had his first bout of teenage entitlement.

I let the kids sometimes do extra chores to earn money. I pay $.50 per chore (with a chore being a single task like cleaning a mirror or sweeping the floor). Maia started right away. Kayden, on the other hand, threw a fit about "why can't we get $1 per chore?!" I stood firm on my rate and he stormed off, slamming his door.

I ignored him for a while until I heard him throwing things around. Then I went in to talk to him. And he was suuuuuuuuper pissed. He was crying and yelling about how it was no fair and he should get more money.

Ohhhh, boy. I laid into him. I did the "when I was a kid" thing and told him that we used to clean the entire house, do the yard work, and more. I then launched into how I have to work eight hours a day. (He said, "But you get to go to work and have fun...I have to go to school." I replied, "You know what work is like? Imagine doing your homework for eight hours every day." That shut him up fast.)

I then went on and on about how I work to provide clothing, toys, and food for him...then he expects me to give him extra money for chores that I have to do every day for free?! I then asked when the last time was that he cooked dinner, swept the floor, cleaned the counters, washed his clothes. Finally, I finished by saying that he could come out when he was ready to apologize to me.

Less than five minutes later, he came out and apologized for being so rude.

No comments: