August 31, 2009

On the job-hunt again

I still like it here: it's flexible, the culture is pretty cool, I have an office, it's close to home...

However, there are some really strange things going on. My boss randomly hired some new executives, making the company an upside-down pyramid, with more "managers" than employees. The accountant, the lawyer, and I talk a lot about the situation here. We don't pay any vendors, we're really scraping by, my boss is talking about hiring ANOTHER executive as a way to get more projects. On top of that, my boss is SUPER shady: overcharging clients, not actually doing the work, lying, etc. The accountant actually said that if we don't get any projects (and SOON!), he doesn't think the company will last more than two months. He's been telling this stuff because he doesn't want us to be left in the dark, surprised when we're randomly laid off one day.

The kicker is that I *just* found out that the chick before me wasn't actually incompetent or disliked. They fired her and another chick, in order to cut costs. Basically, they hired me to do the work of two positions. That may be a good business move...but it's pretty heartless. I don't think they would be any more kind to me.

Sooooooooo... I think it would be stupid of me to just ride this to the end, when I've had ample warning to get the hell out.

No comments: