September 23, 2008

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

**Spoiler alert, by the by**

Okay, I've been thinking about this ever since watching the movie. Let me see if I can articulate what I'm thinking...

At the end of the movie, the characters have the memories of their time together wiped clean. But they meet and begin seeing each other, without recollection of having dated before. Then they come across the audio tapes in which they each said why they despised the other so much.

So, here's what has been on my mind. If you knew for a fact that one day you would break up with someone and even hate them, would you still want to be with them until this happens...for the good times? This isn't my usual, bitter-divorcee "you'll just break up, so why bother" spiel. If you KNEW you would grow to hate someone, would it be worth the effort to you of still having those good times together?

(Let's assume no kids will come out of this or be any kind of factor in the questioning.)

No comments: