March 4, 2008

Fight with Grandpa.

I've put off telling him about the divorce because I was so sure he would say something like, "Yeah, I knew that was going to happen." Ever since the wedding, he constantly asked how things were between us, if we were splitting up yet.

So, I finally called him last night because I didn't want him to hear about it through the misinformed grapevine that is our family. The first thing he says? "Yeah, I'm not surprised at all."

We talked for a moment about what went wrong, then he steered the conversation to money. I answered his questions and listened to him rant and rave about things I need to do, things I'm doing wrong and so on. I quieted down a bit during this time. Then he said, "You must be tired...you're getting crabby." I said, "I'm not crabby, I just really don't like talking about money." He snapped and called me a spoiled little shit. He said, "Once the conversation leads toward something you don't want to talk about, you get all pissy and pout and cry." I bitched back that MAYBE I didn't want to talk about money because I'm in debt out the ass and it depresses me. We argued a bit and then I yelled that I don't like calling him because all he does is lecture me and tell me what I'm doing wrong with my life...maybe I'd just like to call and talk once in a while.

I don't know...we argued for maybe 10 minutes. Then he apologized in his way, which is that he's not really apologizing for his behavior/words...he's apologizing because I got upset when all he's trying to do is look out for me. He closed by saying, "I'm only trying to help you. Nobody ever taught you how to handle money. I guess it's too late now, huh?"

I hate that money is ALL he thinks about. This is the guy who equates money problems to being an alcoholic or something. Last year he was talking about how my mom was in jail for drug abuse at the time. Then he switched topics to my money problems and said, "Oh my, I sure hope you don't end up like your mom."

::slaps forehead::

No comments: