February 18, 2008

Flobots and Art Museums

Woke up bright and early. Kayden and I went downtown, drank some Starbucks, ate lunch, walked under all the construction scaffoldings we could find, and went to the art museum. Unbeknownst to me, it was Family Day, so it was both free and they had a lot of activities set up. He had a blast.

Here's Kayden weaving, a la the Navajo:


He had never been to the art museum, so we did kind of a "light" tour: pre-Columbian era, Asian art, Indian art, and modern art. He seemed most interested in modern art. At one point, we saw an Indian headdress on display...later on that day we saw a similar headdress in a souvenir shop. He said, "That's art!" I replied, "No, not really, it's a replica...blahblahblah..." He then replied, "Well, someone created it, so it is art, right?" I guess he had a point.


Anyhow, back to the museum:



After we left the museum, we ate ice cream cones and went back to the car. We had been downtown about 4-5 hours and he was wiped out. By now, it was time for him to go to his dad's house for the night. I drove him there, then drove right back downtown. Kort met me there after an hour or so. After hanging out downtown for a bit, we caught the train to the Gothic Theater to see the Flobots.

The show was so much fun:



The first band was pretty bizarre and way too mellow for a Saturday night. The second band (The Hot IQs) were completely awesome and I want their CD. I think it was around this time, we met Chelsea:



Chelsea was this gorgeous, super-fun chick we found ourselves dancing next to. She was with her boring boyfriend, so she danced with us. I don't know how she did it, but she started a trend of everyone taking their shirts off. That only lasted about 10 minutes before we got in trouble. Anyhow, Chelsea was super-awesome and I told her boyfriend that if he didn't take her home, then I would.

Anyhow, so the Flobots came on and performed:



They were fun, we danced a lot, got really sweaty, and so on. Near the end of the show, I decided to take a break and hung out at the back of the theater. I met some 22-year-old named Kenny who wanted my number. I gave it to him, but I don't really know if I'll meet up with him. I think the last thing I need is another dude (especially a young dude) to annoy me.

So, we left the Theater after the show, walked back to the train and parted ways. I went downtown, picked up my car, started to head home, but somehow ended up at ______'s place.

On Sunday, after I left _______'s place, I drove home, showered, and went to lunch with my friend, Susan. We talked a bunch and left. I went home, moved the rest of my stuff to the storage shed with Kort, then...well, went out again. We went to Falling Rock for dinner, hung out with the bartenders, Sexy Dave and Rico Suave (a.k.a. Bryan), left dirty messages on the wall of the men's room (with the encouragement and marker of Sexy Dave), and had a fun, fun time. Then I went home, kicked myself for not cleaning in favor of going out, then realized it was all worth it, and went to bed.

No comments: