January 9, 2008

Realtor visit and living options

This was the same guy who got us into our house, so it was a little awkward at first. Here we are, 3 or 4 years later, and my life is completely different. Anyhow, he was really sweet and understanding. At one point, he said, "Man, I really feel bad for Josh...he's losing a great woman." I blushed, of course.

So, here's the lowdown. The realtor said that he thinks my house has a lot of selling potential: there isn't much competition around the area, it's at a good asking price, it's in good condition (thank god I brought the maids in first), and there are no major repairs to be made. He says he is fully confident that I can at least break even. I was glad to hear that, but told him that I'm realistic enough to understand I may have to pay out my pocket...I'm just hoping it's not too much. I signed a 12-month contract with him, but he thinks the average time a place takes to sell is 4 months. Could be more or less, of course.

Sooooooo...my to-do list is to basically clear out the house. It's pretty cluttered because I have a lot of stuff and not much room. We're talking furniture, all my books (easier said than done here), my desk and all its shit, Kayden's toys (again, quite a feat). Not completely empty...just simplified.

This brings me to a question. I'm certain I don't want to live with Josh while we sell the house. Here are my options as I see them:

1. I'm leaning towards getting a cheap apartment while we show the house (and upgrading to a better one when I'm more financially comfortable). The problems with this are that I would have to make both the rent and half the mortgage. Together, that would be pretty much a paycheck right there.

2. Staying at my house and booting Josh out. This makes me feel horrible, but I think this is the best option as far as MY finances go. Plus, Josh's whole family lives in town. He has no reason why he couldn't move to his sister's, for example. She has a big house. I have to stay in Aurora to get Kayden to school every morning. The downside to this (besides rendering Josh homeless) is that I would have to get a storage unit and move all my stuff there for a few months, at least. And I would have to deal with strangers coming and going while the house is being shown. Not to mention that Josh could always decide he's coming home after all, like he did last time.

Personally, I wish I could do option #1 because that would be the simplest option and Kayden and I could start moving on. However, I just don't know if it's feasible.

No comments: